Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Mental Prostitute

Sometimes, I feel that I'm giving into things around me that are much less worthy of my time, energy and mental space. Much like a socially undesirable entity whose presence awash the streets of Geylang, I trade my true worth for something much far less, to scrape through a mere substinence, but come out of it feeling cheated and a greater sense of self-worthlessness.

Watching American Idol, hoping to catcha glimpse of brilliance from performers to make my day, reading blogs to get inspiration, surfing friendster...

Just to come out feeling that I've wasted one precious hour subscribing my mind to blind entertainment, only to end up with a constricted gut, arterioles and air passages when i come across something that I don't agree with, feeling incredulous about the ways some wax lyrical about themselves.

Anyway this is one quote that's in my pencilbox right now:
If it had been Allah's Plan or Will not to grant the limited Free Will He has granted to man, His omnipotence could have made all man alike: all would then have had Faith, but that Faith would have reflected no merit on them. In the actual world as it is, man has been endowed with various faculties and capacities so that he should strive and explore, and bring himself into harmony with Allah's Will. Hence, Faith becomes a moral achievement. To creatures endowed with Will, Faith this comes out of an active use of that Will.

But we must not be so arrogant as to suppose that that is enough. At best, man is weak and in need of Allah's grace and help. If we sincerely wish to understand, He will help our Faith, but if not, our doubts and difficulties will only be increased, in the process of understanding.

This follows a necessary consequence, and in Quranic language, all consequences are ascribed to Allah, Causes of Causes.

=)

No comments: